Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Perfect Omelet

I've learned over many years of weekend morning practice that making the perfect omelet is in the mouth of the forkholder.  For as long as I can remember, Janet will wake up on either saturday or sunday morning and ask me whether I'm making her an omelet yet, or not.  My cooking synapses fire up and with a cup of coffee I start looking through the fridge for ham and cheese type ingredients, no funky spices or veggies thank you, just straight up...but there is THE catch: the omelet must be thin, must be soft on the outside, and damn it, it better not be browned!  For all of us who have tried this little folded eggy blanket trick, we know that sometimes the cooktop and pan don't always see eye to eye, and browning can occur.  When this happens, no matter that the inside might be a Mona Lisa of muenster and high grade ham – the fork has to punch through that tough wall of a skin!  Due to operator error, I've done the brown skin thing far too many times to want to remember – it amazes me to this day that I can't make the perfect omelet every time, no matter the culinary challenges.  Now, though, with the new Quarry Lane gas top stove at my disposal, the consistency is getting there.  This morning, a two egg portabella and onion shell with cubed muenster and sliced ham interior, soft to the touch and smooth to the fork.  Evidence, exhibit A


No comments:

Post a Comment